VERTO is proud to have been selected by the Australian Government to deliver the Self-Employment Assistance program in the Hunter, Mid North Coast, Murray Riverina and Far West Orana regions.
Self-Employment Assistance can help you turn your business idea or existing small business into a viable business. The program allows you to choose the level of support that meets your needs and the needs of your small business. Self-Employment Assistance replaced the NEIS program in July 2022.
How Self-Employment Assistance can help
We can help you with your business idea or existing business through our flexible services including:
- Accredited Small Business Training
- Business Plan Development
- Small Business Coaching
- Exploring Self-Employment Workshops
- Business Advice Sessions
- Business Health Checks
You may also be eligible for financial support while you start and run your business as part of Small Business Coaching. Read more below.
Small Business Services
Accredited Small Business Training can provide
you with the skills you need to start and run a small
You can access accredited training and choose to do a shorter skillset or a longer Certificate III or IV in Entrepreneurship and New Business.
Small Business Coaching gives you 12 months of personalised mentoring and support to help you start and run your small business.If you’re eligible, you may be able to access:
- up to $300 worth of small business start-up costs, such as business insurance
- an allowance for up to 39 weeks and rental assistance for up to 26 weeks
A business plan helps new and existing micro-business owners focus on the steps necessary to make their business succeed. Our business coaches can help you prepare a comprehensive business plan to help you to identify strategies for success and forecast your business cash flow for 2 years into the future.
A one-hour, one-on-one session with a business advisor to gain advice on starting your own small business or running an existing one.
They can involve:
- getting advice on starting your own business
- improving your business’ commercial viability
- advice a range of other small business-related matters
- referral to other small business support networks.
A Business Health Check is a 3-hour, one-on-one session to help you assess how your business is currently running and find ways to improve it via:
- business analysis
- identifying opportunities for improvement
- connecting you with other local business support services, where relevant.
- be at least 15 years of age (18 years of age to access Small Business Coaching)
- an Australian citizen, or
- the holder of a permanent visa, or a nominated Visa Holder (including a New Zealand Special Category Visa, Temporary Protection Visa Holder and a Safe Haven Visa Holder)
- not be an undischarged bankrupt
- not already be in education and/or employment for more than 25 hours per week
- be either a new business or a micro-business (up to 4 employees) at risk of not operating commercially
- be assessed as viable by your Self-Employment Assistance provider
- have an independent business structure
- be lawful and capable of withstanding public scrutiny
- be established, located, and operated solely within Australia
- be structured so you will maintain a controllinginterest over the business through your time accessing the Services.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to have a business idea to access the Self-Employment Assistance Program?
No, if you are interested in exploring the idea of being your own boss, you can register for our Exploring Self-Employment Assistance Workshops. If you are interested in more information about these workshops, please get in touch via the registration form below.
What financial help is available?
If you are in receipt of an eligible Centrelink payment such as JobSeeker, you will continue to receive this payment during your small business training. Once you have completed the requirements of training, your 12-month Small Business Coaching Agreement will commence.
If eligible, participants on the 12 month Self-Employment Assistance Business Coaching program will receive 9 months of Self- Employment Allowance to assist them in starting their business. Self-Employment Allowance is paid at the same rate as the single, 22 or over, no children rate of jobseeker payment.
Can I access Rent Assistance whilst on the Self-Employment Assistance program?
Yes, if you are currently eligible for Rent Assistance you can access Rent Assistance for the first 6 months while you are establishing your business.
To check your eligibility, please get in touch via the form below.
Can you help with paying for my business name registration, uniforms etc?
Participants of the 12-month Self-Employment Assistance Business Coaching program will be eligible to claim up to $300 in business expenses to help them get started.
What is the difference between NEIS and Self Employment Assistance?
The Self-Employment Assistance Program replaced NEIS in July 2022 and is an expansion of the NEIS program. The Self-Employment Assistance program still offers accredited small business training and 12 months of coaching like NEIS did, but now there are additional services to take advantage of.
There is an Exploring Self-Employment Workshop for those wanting to dip their toes in the waters of being their own boss and there are services for existing businesses such as a one-on-one Business Plan Development session, Business Advice sessions and a Business Health Check.
If you are interested in more information about these different services, please get in touch via the registration form below.
I already have a business, what assistance is available to me?
If you have an established business you could be eligible for 2 free business advice sessions and 1 free business health check session. If you have been running a business without a business plan, you may be eligible to access a Business Plan Development session to help develop a clear direction for your business.
I have completed NEIS previously, can I do the Self-Employment Assistance Program?
Participants who have previously completed NEIS can apply for the Self-Employment Assistance program after 12 months from the end of their contact. However, you may be eligible for a Business Advice session or Business Health Check for existing businesses.
If you are interested in more information, please get in touch via the registration form below.
VERTO Ltd is a service provider contracted by the Australian Government as represented by the Department of Education and Training to provide Self-Employment Assistance program services. VERTO is one of a number of Network Providers in NSW. This website does not represent the Australian Government.