Region 9 Western NSW is part of a 31-region program Australia wide. NDCO’s target the barriers that people with a disability face in successfully accessing and completing post-school education and training through to employment.
The NDCO program works strategically to assist people with disability to access and participate in higher education, Vocational Education and Training (‘tertiary education’), and subsequent employment through a national network of regionally-based NDCOs. NDCOs work with stakeholders at the local level to reduce systemic barriers, facilitate smooth transitions, build links and coordinate services between the education, training, and employment sectors.
There are three key objectives for the program:
- Improved linkages between schools, tertiary education providers, employment service providers, and providers of disability programs and assistance at all government levels.
- Improved transitions for people with disability between school/community and tertiary education, and then to subsequent employment.
- Improved participation by people with disability in tertiary education and subsequent employment.
VERTO works towards achieving the following four program outcomes:
- Services that facilitate transition and participation from school to tertiary education and subsequent employment for people with disability are coordinated.
- Local networks collaborate to identify and overcome barriers in transitions and participation in tertiary education and subsequent employment for people with disability.
- Stakeholders have the knowledge and capability to support transitions and participation from school to tertiary education and subsequent employment for people with disability.
- People with disability who have the ability to make decisions about their education and employment are able to do so based on improved knowledge of their rights and entitlements, supports available, educational options, and pathways to employment.
- The NDCO program supports both you and your family by providing advice, information and resources to ensure that you have the best chance to achieve your goals.
To keep up to date with the latest NDCO news in Region 9 Western NSW, make sure you like and follow our Facebook Page.